Cuisine : American
Prep Time : 10 mins
Cook Time : 5 mins
Total Time : 15 mins
American Boiling Whole Fresh Lobster
- 1 whole Lobsters
- Water with Salt (Optional: Flavorings for the water, such as a few slices of lemon, a cup of wine or beer, a piece of seaweed, or herbs such as thyme or bay leaves)
- 1/4 cup butter – about 1/4 (or 1/2 stick per lobster)
- Fill the pot about one half to two thirds full of water, so that the lobsters can be completely covered.
- Add a few lemon slices, or a cup or two of wine or beer, or even herbs such as thyme or bay leaves to the water.
- Turn on the heat and bring the water to a vigorous rolling boil.
- Put the lobster head first into boiling water. If you’re boiling additional lobsters, drop them into the pot quickly. Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid so that the water will come back to a boil as soon as possible.
- Use the following cooking times for different lobster sizes, whether you’re cooking one or more lobsters, use these times. As long as the water’s boiling, cooking time is based on the lobster’s weight, as a general guideline: 1 pound lobster(5-7mins); 1 1/4 pound lobster(8-10 mins); 1 1/2 pound lobster(10-12 mins); 2 pound lobster(12-14 mins), 3 pound lobster(15-18 mins).
- While the lobsters cook, melt some butter in a small sauce pan.
- When the lobsters turn bright red all over, they’re done and ready to serve.